Spotify is a digital music service which is available as a website as well on mobile app. You can listen to your favorites songs, albums and artists for free. You can also also subscribe to their premium subscription which offers many additional features compared to the free version of Spotify.
If you have a Spotify account and you no longer use it, the best thing would be delete it. I can’t emphasize enough that your personal details which you use to sign up for any service is stored forever with the service-provider as long as your don’t close your account. To prevent misuse of such data, it is recommended that you delete your Spotify account if you have no intention to use it in future. Yes, you can alway create a new account if you feel like using Spotify again in future.
This post is a guide for the Spotify users who want to delete their Spotify account.
Important thing to know before deleting Spotify Account
There are few things you must know before closing your Spotify account:
- The username you chose for your Spotify account can be used for one account only. So, if you delete your Spotify account and in future, create a new account on Spotify, the old username would not be available to you. You will have to create a new username for your new account.
- Once you are done deleting your Spotify account, Spotify gives you 7 days time to re-activate your Spotify account in case your change your mind. After 7 days of deleting your account, you will not be able to revive your Spotify account.
- If you were offered any Student Discount by Spotify, the same will not be available to you for the period of 12 months in case you create a new Spotify account after deleting your old account.
- All your followers, playlists, history and data related to your Spotify account will be gone once your delete your Spotify account.
- Before deleting your Spotify account, you should first cancel all your Subscriptions with Spotify account.
Steps to delete your Spotify account
Spotify does not allow you to delete your Spotify account using its Mobile App. You can delete the Spotify account using any web-browser. The steps are as follows:
- Open Spotify.com in your browser.
- Enter your username and password to login to Spotify.com
- The first thing you have to do after login is to cancel your premium subscription. If you don’t have premium subscription, you can skip directly to Step No. 8
- After logging in, you can see your Spotify dashboard. Click on “Profile” on the top-right corner of the page and select “Account” from the drop-down.
- Your Spotify account page will open which will show your Subscription details. Click on “Manage Plan” button.
- Now, click on “Change or Cancel” button.
- Click on “Cancel Premium” button. You will be asked to confirm your cancellation. Click on “Yes, Cancel”. You have successfully cancelled your Subscription. Now, we will move to deleting the Spotify account.
- Enter the url – https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/ in your web-browser. You will see the “Contact Spotify” page.
- Under the “Hello, How can we help you” section, select “Account” category.
- Under the “Can you tell us a little more” section, select “I want to close my account permanently”.
- Now, click on “Close Account” button.
- Confirm by clicking another “Close Account” button.
- Your account details will be displayed on the screen. Verify it and click on “Continue”.
- Now, you have to check the box before the statement “I understand, and still want to close my account” and click on “Continue”
- You will receive an email on your registered email address. Open the email and click on the link/button with text “Close My Account” within 24 hours of receiving the email.
- Your Spotify account is successfully deleted.
- You will now receive another email from Spotify providing an opportunity to reactivate your Spotify account within 7 days. You can reactivate your account if you want to within 7 days period.
Please share your feedback on the above method to delete your Spotify account. Your feedback is important for us to keep improving the content on our website.